Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bots

What the hell happened to bots in multiplayer games? Time Splitters and the original Unreal Tournament had the best bots of any multiplayer game. The bots in Time Splitters ranged from robots to an Elvis impersonator to a giant Hand. The bots in Unreal Tournament weren't as exotic as the bots in Time Splitters, but they could be just as tough. If you pushed the difficulty on these bots to the max, they could present a challenge. It was a great way to practice multiplayer without going online.

Online gaming is wonderful. I love playing Call of Duty: World at War online. But there are some people out there that don't want to play online. I think these people would be more apt to play online if games still featured bots. My wife likes playing certain games with me, but she won't touch first person shooters. She tried the other day, but the control scheme was a bit much for her. But I think she'd be able to enjoy them with the right amount of practice. That is why bots need to make a comeback.

I want to play FPSs with my wife. But there isn't a next gen Time Splitters game slated to be released any time soon. We could always throw in the original Time Splitters on PS2, but it looks like crap on our TV.

Can anybody tell me why there's a stigma against bots?

No comments:

Post a Comment